Certified ScrumMaster Course PLUS - Scaling Version
Revision as of 21:51, 25 March 2008 by Clarman
The standard, basic Certified ScrumMaster Course is two days; this CSM PLUS (Scaling Version) is a three-day in-depth seminar on the art of serving as an effective ScrumMaster, and on the Scrum method.
In addition to all standard CSM content, you will learn the key concepts and practices related to Large-Scale Scrum, and scaling lean and agile practices to very large, multisite, and offshore development. This reflects my consulting and coaching focus on large-scale agile product development (at Xerox, Nokia, Siemens, NSN, and other clients) and my new book Book - Scaling Lean and Agile.
Surveys show that Scrum is by far the most popular agile method worldwide -- and with good reason.
There are three roles in Scrum: Team(s), Product Owner, and ScrumMaster. This latter role is NOT a project manager in any traditional sense. The ScrumMaster is a process coach -- someone who is a master of the Scrum method and helps the teams and product owner apply it and maximize value with it.
Agile management is as radically different from traditional project management as agile processes are different from traditional methodologies. Rather than plan, instruct and direct, the agile coach facilitates, coaches and leads. This person is called a ScrumMaster in the Scrum agile process to denote the difference and remind the person filling this role of the new responsibilities. Accepted participants learn how to be a ScrumMaster and how to make a development team, a product group, or an organization agile. Exercises, case studies, and examples used to bring home the realization of how to be a ScrumMaster instead of a project manager.
Methods of Education
Discussion, presentation, Q&A, workshop exercises
Anyone interested in adopting Scrum should take CSM PLUS as a foundation -- including potential Product Owners, and the leadership team. And certainly, anyone wishing to serve as a ScrumMaster.
Introductory: This course assumes no prerequisite skills, other than the readings listed in the Prerequisites section. Students will learn and apply skills (both "hard" and "soft") during the session.
Every participant is required to have read EVERY PAGE of (including Appendix B - the Scrum Rules) Agile Project Management with Scrum (Schwaber), before the course. This is required to be validated during the CSM course.
Participants must also read, before the course, EVERY PAGE of the Scrum Primer.
Through education and practice, a ScrumMaster should be able to:
- Remove the barriers between development and the customer so the customer directly drives development;
- Teach the customer how to maximize ROI and meet their objectives through Scrum;
- Improve the lives of the development team by facilitating creativity and empowerment;
- Improve the productivity of the development team in any way possible; and,
- Improve the engineering practices and tools so each increment of functionality is potentially shippable
Outline: Core CSM
- Agile and Scrum Overview
- Scrum Background
- Scrum Overview
- Scrum Roles and Responsibilities
- Scrum Artifacts
- Scrum Events
- Sprint Planning Meeting
- Daily Scrum
- Sprint Review Meeting
- Backlogs and Burndown Charts
- Release Planning
- The Art of the ScrumMaster
- Tools for Fostering Self-Organizing Teams
- Introducing Scrum into the Organization
Outline: PLUS Topics Include...
- Large-Scale Thinking Tools and Action Tools
- Continuous product development
- Scaling with requirement areas
- Feature vs component teams
- Hierarchical continuous integration
- Large-scale estimation, release planning and scheduling
- Enterprise-level policies and reward systems that support agility
- Large-scale budgeting
- Scaling the Product Backlog
- Multi-level Sprint planning
- Joint and multisite Sprint reviews
- Joint and multisite Sprint retrospectives
- Scaling the requirements workshops
- Scaling the design workshops
- Scaling lean design
- Coordinating team-of-team large project development up to 2,000 people
- Leading enterprise change initiatives to adopt agile and lean principles
- Agile documentation in large products
- Agile offshoring
- Multisite and agile development
- Dispersed teams
Not everyone who attends may achieve certification; it depends on demonstration of values and knowledge consistent with Scrum, and at least fulfilling the course prerequisites. Certified ScrumMasters will be recorded at www.scrumalliance.org.
Environment - Room, Tools, Texts
Read this: Course Environment - Workshop Style1
Text and Notes
- THESE MUST BE PURCHASED/SUPPLIED BY THE CLIENT *BEFORE* the course: For each student, 1 copy of Agile Project Management with Scrum by Ken Schwaber. It can be ordered from Amazon here
- another useful read is The Scrum Primer
- There is a course PDF for the presentations. We may decide to give the students a file copy to view on a laptop or a paper copy, depending on situation.